the veiled sibyl

I have heard and said more inanities, since you took me in tow, than in all the rest of my life.

My Photo
Name:

like a dripping faucet

Monday, May 08, 2006

Her head is in a bitter way. Her brain's on fire.

Run, darling run, I'll save you.
Run from this now 'cause you want to.
Run, darling run, let's say you've
Run from this now 'cause you've got to.


Is this the best policy?

I've been thinking about honesty as it applies to friendships. How much honesty is good, how much is too much? What is the "right" thing to do? (And, who's definition of "right" would you use?) Let's say you have a friend who is exhibiting a delusional attitude about something. If it's a trivial matter, then certainly it might be best to keep your mouth shut. However, if this delusion causes real problems - what do you do? I find that if I say nothing, it's almost as if I am supporting the delusion - agreement by silence, if you will. If I say what's on my mind, I risk pissing the person off. It's hard because anything you say will simply be your own opinion. You can couch it in facts and common sense, but it really comes down to being your take on something.

My thinking is that it is more compassionate in the long run to be honest and tell your friends what you think. However, in the short term, you risk hurting their feelings. The trick is to say what you feel needs to be said without making it seem like an attack on the other person or their beliefs or ideas. That can be difficult, especially if the person is sensitive to such things.

Now, this is not about advice - I know that advice is never heeded, so I quit giving that out long ago. Or rather, I give it out, but I have no expectation of it being followed. No, I'm not talking about advice - more like insight. Sometimes people get so wrapped in their own selves that they cannot see any other path. People tend to start to feel sorry for themselves and try to blame others or milk sympathy out of people. Isn't it better to call them on this rather than just acquiesce?


---------------------------------------------------------------

One stop shopping

There's a block on I35 in Austin that has four shops. (Okay, all four shops aren't exactly on the same block - they are on two adjacent blocks - give me a goddamned break.) Anyway, four shops. The first shop is offers custom embroidery. The second, fly fishing supplies. The third, well, it's not exactly a shop - it's the Crazy Lady. The fourth, right next to the Crazy Lady offers "Affordable Caskets". That's all you need in life right there in that little block, man. Embroidery, fly fishing, strippers and affordable caskets. EVERYTHING. YOU. NEED.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Revelation!

I figured something out. It's one of those classic, "Why the hell?" kind of things that you see all the time (usually in WalMart) but you can't figure out. But I've figured it out! I know the secret. I'm not going to post it here, because it's far too important to display willy-nilly all over the internets. But, if you know the secret handshake, and the secret codeword, I'll share my knowledge with you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ich heisse. . .

The other night in Oilcan's there was this creepy straight freak trying to hit on me. He asked my name and the first one that popped into my head was "Angela". (Double A!) That will be more funny to some of you than others.

---------------------------------------------------------------

How do I find these people?

A comparison:

MrWrong
First name starts with an "E"
Heroin addict
Short, skinny, green eyes
Master manipulator
Liar
Freaky Catholic upbringing
Wears makeup (never goes out w/o it!)
Has a sugar daddy (real daddy)
Is straight (mostly)
Frequents gay bars
Goes by his middle name in gay bars
My Own Private Idaho - Scott Favor

Hustler
First name starts with an "E"
Cocaine addict
Short, skinny, green eyes
Master manipulator
Liar
Freaky Catholic upbringing
Wears makeup (never goes out w/o it!)
Has a sugar daddy (step daddy)
Is straight (mostly)
Frequents gay bars
Goes by his middle name in gay bars
My Own Private Idaho - Mike Waters

---------------------------------------------------------------


Always,

S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home